It is the year of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.
Rabbi Howell of Sheffield United, the first Romany to play for England, knows his career is peaking and the only way is down.
His fate seems to be a return to obscurity, literally and metaphorically, back down the pit, his life ruled by the winding wheel and the domestic pattern set by his wife, Selina, her parents and family.
He then meets Ada and risks throwing away career, home, everything.
Follow Rab, Selina, Ada and the United through this turbulent, historic year.
"Thoroughly enjoyed the book... minutely observed and well-depicted background of Sheffield."
- Graham Phythian, author of 'Colossus - The True Story of William Foulke' and 'Shooting Stars - The Belief and Glorious History of Blackburn Olympic'.
"A lost treasure of a footballer from the first golden age of the game. Researched and told with love and genuine care, a truly fascinating piece of work."
- John Garrett, Sheffield United FC Supporter Liaison Officer and historian, co-author of 'Sheffield United FC The Biography' and author of 'Blades Folklore and Fables'.
"A poignant love story set in the gritty streets of Sheffield at the turn of the century. Meticulously researched, this is a must for local history enthusiasts and anyone who loves a good read."
- Cheryl Bailey, Senior Archivist, Sheffield Archives.
"A meticulous novel that brings social and football history to life in the form of a truly unique character from football folklore."
- Scott McCabe, Sheffield United Director.
Paperback ISBN: 9781780357584
* All services are subject to respective shipping companies terms of service. For more information see respective companies website.